Saturday, March 12, 2011

Living Museum - Alex's 4th Grade project

Houston we are a 'go' for presentation


Alex recently completed his class Social Studies project called a Living Museum.  I have to admit that I was a little perplexed, at first, about what exactly a Living Museum is & what the end result would be.  But what a fantastic idea for hands on learning.  It involved a lot of steps.  Starting with picking their person of interest & then developing a bibliography, research, notes, poster & ending with the presentation put on by the 4th grade for parents & other students which was the actual museum.  Alex chose Alan Bean, the astronaut.  They were encouraged to dress the part & be creative. He borrowed the helmet from someone in class & wore one of Kirk's flight suits. (I think Dad might have been a bit jealous about that).  When approached the kids would have to tell you who they were & speak in first person about their character relating details of their accomplishments & life.  All the kids did really great & there were some wonderful costumes. Choices ranged from Martin Luther King to Laura Ingles Wilder.   I love any idea or curriculum that provides hands on learning for children.  Even though the project felt never ending for us as parents helping Alex stay on task it is an incredible idea.  






Alex with his wonderful teacher Ms. Bohlman





1 comment: