With our first Thanksgiving abroad past us we have set our sites on the next holiday.....CHRISTMAS! Always a crowd favorite in our house but also easy to get in the spirit as this week was the start of the German Christmas Markets & many abroad, I'm sure. Can't wait to see the local Christmas Markets. There are MANY. We'll have to take that one year by year. Top on our list this year is Stuttgart's market right in downtown. This is where they do all there "festing" & in Germany.....they are always festing. And we finally had our, much anticipated, first snow fall. It was gorgeous to drive the tree lined streets today of bare branches covered in a few inches of snow.
Unfortunately Kirk was out of town for work on an exercise this Thanksgiving. But with his profession it is not uncommon for him to be gone for the holidays. We always miss him, and more each year as the kids get older & more aware. We are very fortunate in our military community to have gracious offers for dinner or get togethers so we are never alone.
Tonight we broke out the fake tree & decorations. A break from our Washington tradition of going out & cutting a tree with Kirk...sigh...so sad, but I'll say I don't miss the mess & the watering. Burning a pine scented candle for the effect. I love the traditions of Christmas with the family. How excited the kids get & more involved they are in the tree decorating & how they "know" Christmas isn't about Santa completely but they still believe?! Amazing with their ages. All though I'm not sure that Alex isn't believing this year out of sheer necessity & the fear that maybe he won't get presents under the tree if he doesn't. Ha,ha! (That's not the case but his age. ) Even if Kirk couldn't be here I loved decorating the tree with my two favorite little people.
Later this month we head to the Bavarian Alps!! And I know I'm ready for the Christmas Markets & some gluwhein:-)
| Stockings hung on the ...wall ...with care. And appropriately next to the "Home is Where the Navy Sends you". We can even adapt where to put the stockings. No fireplace this year in base housing. |
| My best (cutest) two helper Elves!! |
No comments:
Post a Comment